These lentil crepes are awesome. Soaked red lentils + water + spices = delicious crepes!
They fit into any diet — besides paleo. Don’t get me ranting about that diet. It definitely has its merits (whole unprocessed foods, fruits and veg, etc.), but it really doesn’t have any ground to stand on as far as the theory behind it.
Plus, I love lentils! They are nutritious little gems, full of fibre and protein. They are also very cheap. As the paleo diet does not allow beans or legumes it can make eating on a budget more challenging.
My grandpa — think retired logging truck driver, hunter and red-neck extraordinaire — did not even complain when I made these for dinner over the holidays. Grandma, somewhat skeptical, even had leftover meat pie (her specialty) on standby, just waiting for grandpa to complain about the lack of meat.
The meat pie ended up back in the fridge: dietitian success!
I have nothing against meat but, as I stated in my last post, “Your diet in 2015: Top foods to add & cut,” I think it is important to have vegetarian meals weekly. So here is a great option for you!
If your crepes are not spreading in the pan well, you might have to thin out the batter a touch with water (trial and error for a crepe or two, don’t add too much water). Keep the pan well greased and allow the crepes to be fully set on top before flipping — they will stay together well that way. I have it down pat now and they work out great every time I make them! They are my new addiction.
Lentil Crepe Filling Ideas:
- white or Alfredo sauce + sauteed garlic, spinach, onions, mushrooms, peppers + quinoa + parmesan (pictured)
- scrambled eggs + cheese + salsa + black beans + cilantro
- pesto of choice + roasted yams
- avocado + salsa + chicken
- fried firm tofu + veggies + sesame tahini sauce
Feel free to play around with the spice combo to suit your tastes.
Lastly, keep leftovers for lunch wraps that pack a protein punch to get you through the work day!
- 1.5 cups dry red lentils
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 crushed garlic cloves
- a few shakes of red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- cooking oil
- soak lentils overnight or for 3+ hours (cover lentils with about 2 inches water)
- warm oven to 200 F
- drain lentils and rinse well
- combine soaked, drained lentils with 3 cups of water
- add spice combination of choice (my favourite combo is listed above)
- blend mixture in a food processor or blender until fairly smooth
- heat a large, well greased pan (one that doesn't stick!) over medium-high heat
- add about ⅓ - ½ cup of batter to the hot pan and swirl pan to make a thin (~1/8 inch) crepe
- allow crepe to cook through (lift edges periodically to prevent sticking), once the top is completely firm/set, flip crepe and cook the other side for about 2 min (if they are breaking, wait longer to flip them and re-grease pan)
- transfer to a warm oven, while you cook the other crepes (still the batter before making another one), greasing the pan each time
- fill warm crepes with your desired filling and serve