The holiday season is wrapping up and soon the whole country will be on the healthy eating bandwagon trying to achieve their New Year’s resolutions.
Forget what happened over the past couple of weeks — most of us overate. You are not the only one! Stop carrying around guilt about it. Move forward and make mindful choices in the New Year.
What really counts is what happens from now until next December. Make small, maintainable changes to your everyday eating habits that will improve your health in the long run.
My goal is to convince people that healthy food can taste good and be easy to prepare. This recipe is a breeze to prepare and it is made from readily available ingredients. Cooking can be a great way to spend some time with your significant other and/or family. Assign everyone a task and dinner will be done in no time. Then, eat together! (Having 1 more family meal per week than you do now would be a great New Year’s resolution.)
Eating with loved ones and friends is beneficial in so many ways. If you have children, the valuable time spent together is perfect for practicing good parenting skills, becoming more involved in your child’s life, and truly getting to know what goes on in the day-to-day lives of those closest to you. Having a daily mealtime allows each family member to take time away from work, socializing, or a screen to just be with each other.
Cooking every night may be unrealistic, but I think it is so important to try and schedule family meals (even just breakfast) at least once a week. A recent study found that kids are most comfortable opening up to their parents at the dinner table.
This recipe is perfect for breakfast, especially if you favour savoury over sweet. I make it for lunch all the time as well — it’s great anytime of day! If you are making it with your family/friends just multiply the ingredients by the number of people.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl
- 1 tsp olive oil
- heaping ⅓ cup cooked black beans
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 green onion, chopped (whites and greens separated)
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ½ cup roasted, diced squash or sweet potato (leftovers work great!)
- ¼ avocado, cubed (for topping)
- plain greek yogurt (for topping)
- cilantro, chopped (for topping)
- cheddar cheese, shredded (for topping)
- Heat a small pan over medium heat with oil, add beans, garlic, the whites of the green onion, cumin and red pepper flakes
- Cook until fragrant
- Add tomatoes and mash mixture together until fairly well mashed, continue cooking and mashing for a few minutes (add a tablespoon or two of water if too thick)
- Meanwhile, cook an egg (over easy, sunny side up, or poached)
- Add corn to bean mixture, mix and heat through
- Serve egg and bean mixture on top of warm squash/yams/potato, top with avocado, cilantro, yogurt, the green onion tops and shredded cheese