I love steel cut oatmeal but don’t love the time it takes to make in the morning. What a (dietitians) dream it would be to wake up to a delicious bowl of steaming steel-cut oats with no prep work!
I picked my favorite oatmeal ingredients put them all in my slow cooker and wahlaa – I woke up to yummy cinnamony (that’s a word right?) smells and perfectly cooked steel cuts oats. They were nice and hot and ready to eat, after I added my favorite toppings. If you’re a chocolate-at-breakfast type of person you can mix in some cocoa powder too. It’s delicious.
Depending on the age of your slow cooker the cooking time might vary. So if it’s too dry or too liquidy in the morning adjust the recipe accordingly. If there is too much liquid left you could turn the slow cooker up to high with the lid open for 15-20 min. This would also be a good time to add in some eggs/egg whites if your looking for a protein packed breakfast. Make sure you stir them in well and continue to stir for a minute or so until the eggs begin to set.
What are your favorite oatmeal toppings?
Overnight Slow Cooker Banana-Coconut Steel-Cut Oatmeal
Serves 8 (1 cup servings)
- 1 3/4 cups steel cut oatmeal
- 3-4 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 2-398 ml cans light coconut milk
- 4 cups water (or milk for a creamier oatmeal – I prefer to pour milk over top before eating)
- 1.5-2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Brush sides of slow cooker with butter or canola oil (optional but makes clean up easier!)
- Mix together all ingredients in the slow cooker
- Set on low and cook for 5.5 hours (my slow cooker switches to warm after this and it was perfect when I woke up in the morning ~ 7 hours later.) Slow cookers cooking time can vary so it might involve a little trial and error!
- Top with milk/milk alternative/coconut milk, fresh berries, sliced banana, nuts/seeds, hemp seeds, toasted coconut, maple syrup, pat of butter, yogurt etc…. the sky’s the limit!
- Can be refrigerated and dipped into daily for 4-5 days. Just reheat with some extra liquid.