This summer has been filled with BBQ’ing and sitting on patios. Perfect occasions for delicious, no-bake snacks like guacamole! This version of lightened-up guacamole is sure to be a hit at any event this summer.
Guacamole always reminds me of the vacation I spent in Cancun with four of my best friends a few years ago. We had guacamole (multiple times) every day… it went on everything!
I love this lightened-up version, the peas add great flavor and can bulk up your guacamole if you don’t have enough avocado.
Picking the perfect avocado is an acquired skill. I hate it when I think I have the perfect one and I open it up to discover it’s black and stringy. Blech! Thankfully, I usually have some frozen peas I can thaw and add to make the perfect dip sans 1 avocado.
Now, pass the guacamole peas!
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and lightly mashed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 small vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (or a few pinches red pepper flakes)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of one small lime
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the avocado in a medium sized bowl
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Cover and refrigerated for an hour or two to allow flavors to meld (if time allows)
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, crackers or sliced peppers