Well the holidays are over and it’s back to the same old routine. If you are looking for some extra time to relax why not toss this salad together and keep it in the fridge for quick lunches all week!
I have never thought to put green beans in a salad before, but I love them so I was intrigued by this recipe. Also anything with avocado in it must be good right? I once saw someone munching on these string beans raw and had to try it myself —–> YUM! As long as you get fresh, crunchy ones they are a delicious snack. Green beans are also rich in many vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C and K, folate, potassium and manganese.
Add a grain such as barley, kamut, spelt or wheat berries to make this salad even more satisfying.
Modified from Rose Reisman’s Complete Light Kitchen
• 8 oz green beans, chopped into thirds or left whole
• 340mL can corn kernels, drained
• 190z can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
•1 large diced red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup diced red onion
• 1 large diced ripe avocado
• 2 tsp lime or lemon zest
• 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
• 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
• 1 tsp minced jalapeño
• Pinch salt and black pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or basil/parsley)
1. Steam the green beans just until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes. Place immediately under cold water and rinse until the beans are no longer warm. Place in a serving bowl.
2. Spray small non-stick skillet with cooking oil and place over medium heat. Sauté corn, stirring frequently, until browned, approximately 8 minutes. Add to the serving bowl, along with the chickpeas, bell pepper, onion and avocado.
3. Whisk the zest, juice, oil, garlic, ginger, jalapeño, salt and pepper together in a small bowl and toss with salad. Chill.