Family gatherings, special occasions and parties can be detrimental to your weight loss efforts. Here are some easy tips to help you maintain your weight and still attend all those fun parties!
1. Vegetables first : if you fill half your plate with vegetables before anything else there won’t be a lot of room left for all those high calorie foods at the party, and even if you do end up eating them anyway at least you got some vegetables too.
2. Don’t go to parties too hungry: have a large snack before going to a party, that way you can try smaller amounts of the things you want the most without over doing it.
3. Choose your beverages wisely: calories in beverages add up fast and you won’t even notice them. I find drinking calories a bit of a waste, I would rather eat my calories…by all means have a glass (or two) of wine, eggnog or beer but then switch to a lower calorie drink for the rest of the night. Soda water with a touch of juice, lime or lemon for flavor is a great option.
4. Keep your hands busy: for example, carry your drink around in the hand you would normally use to grab food with you’ll be more mindful of what you’re sticking in your mouth if you have to set your glass (or something else) down first.
5. Wear body conscious clothes: if you wear something you can “hide” under to a party you will be more likely to indulge. Instead wear a tighter fitting shirt or something with a snug waist band, it may help you stay on track.
One of the best parts (if not the very best part ;) ) about holidays and parties is the food, so enjoy it, but do so mindfully and you will have nothing to regret at the end of the night!