Lets go back three months and pretend its the beginning of august: the sun in shining, it’s a perfect 26 degrees outside, we’re biking the seawall and sipping iced coffee. Now wouldn’t that be nice? Well, that’s what I was doing when I should have posted this — but who can blame me?
I was also a little preoccupied cooking for 70 kids, staff and volunteers at the Vancouver School Boards Healthy Eaters and Leaders summer camp everyday. The camp garden is where I took the picture above of all the zucchini, we had so many perfect ones until someone came and stole them all one night! How rude! Anyway, zucchinis aren’t exactly in season anymore, but they are still readily available and perfect for making zucchini fries!
Zucchini is a great source of antioxidants and vitamin C, and one raw cup comes in at only 18 calories. For the best flavor choose small ones with blemish free skin, and never peel zucchini or you will loose a lot of the nutrients. These fries are a great addition to any meal or great for a snack. They are easy to make and kids love them…especially if you give them a dipping sauce with it. Nothing is better than finger food you can dip! ;)
PS here is a special tip from my great auntie Joan: score the zucchini with a fork before slicing them and the coating will stick better!
- 3 medium zucchini, remove ends, slice in half width wise and then into sticks (thick enough to not flop but not too thick - maybe a bit thinner than the ones pictures above is ideal)
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- Pinch of dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until a little frothy.
- Put the breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, garlic powder and cheese on a plate. Mix well.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg whites and then into the bread crumb mixture, make sure all sides get coated well. Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a little crispy. Turn over the fries half way through. Serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping.